Taking good care of your dentures is critical to ensuring that your appliance fits and functions properly and in helping you maintain a healthy, beautiful smile. Here are a few recommendations on how to care for your dentures:
- Remember, only dental professionals are qualified to diagnose problems and make adjustments to your appliance. Do not try to make adjustments on your own.
- Brush your dentures inside and outside daily. We recommend using a soft, large nylon denture toothbrush with round-ended bristles.
- Use a denture cream, not toothpaste. Toothpaste is abrasive, and will scratch your appliance.
- Rinse your dentures with cold water. Do NOT use hot water, as it will case your dentures to warp.
- Inspect your appliance regularly for worn teeth. Worn or stained dentures will make you look older, and can cause your appliance to function poorly.
- When not in use, cover your dentures in water or with a denture-cleaning solution to prevent them from drying out.
You should visit our dentists regularly to ensure that your dentures are functioning correctly and that your mouth is healthy. Please make sure that your doctor and dental professionals are aware of all current medications that you are using, as some types of medication can have an effect on your oral health and may impact the fit and function of your appliance.
If your dentures are loose, make an appointment to have them checked immediately. Loose dentures can cause friction and place pressure on your gum and bone tissue, and may cause damage to your mouth.
Most dental insurance policies cover new dentures every 5 years.
We invite you to call Smith Family Dental at 801-266-4427 to learn more about denture care in Murray, Utah, and make your appointment with Dr. Morgan Smith.