One of the periodontal treatments you may receive is Arestin® (minocycline hydrochloride), an antibiotic that kills the harmful bacteria the cause gum disease. Dr. Morgan Smith may recommend this treatment on its own or as part of an overall treatment plan that includes other periodontal treatments. To learn more about Arestin in Murray, Utah, and to make your appointment with our dentists, call Smith Family Dental at 801-266-4427.
Arestin is provided in the form of a powder, and is placed directly in the periodontal pockets (infected areas of the gums), usually following a scaling and root planing. It begins working immediately at the source of infection, actively fighting infection and inflammation for 30 days. It will provide much better results than scaling and root planing alone after 90 days.
After you have received treatment, we recommend that you:
- Avoid touching the treated areas for 1 week.
- Wait 10 days before using floss, toothpicks, or similar devices to clean between the teeth in the treated areas.
- Avoid eating hard, crunchy, or sticky foods for 1 week.
- Stay hydrated.
- Limit your use of tobacco products. We also recommend that you consider quitting entirely.
- Keep your follow-up appointments and regular checkups. Periodontal disease can reoccur, and your mouth and oral health will need to be monitored.
- If you have any pain, swelling, or other problems, contact our office as soon as possible.
For more information about Arestin and to schedule a consultation with our dental professionals, please contact our office at 801-266-4427.